If you are fan of the mouthwatering, creamy taste of yogurt but you cannot handle it, there is a simple and tasty solution to get the most of its probiotics: Coconut yogurt! With just two simple and easily accessible ingredients- coconut milk and probiotic culture- you will make you own probiotic-dense, creamy, and delicious dessert.
Read on to learn how to prepare this tasty, non-dairy desert. You will definitely love its taste, and its benefits even more!
The Benefits of Probiotic, Non-Dairy Yogurt
The Positives of Probiotics
Yogurt, whether made with non-dairy or dairy milk, is a thick, fermented product packed with high concentrations of gut-healthy bacteria, minerals like magnesium and calcium, and vitamins like vitamin B1 and B6. When combined, these nutrients boost immunity, build stronger bones, and keep intestinal health in check.
- Lower blood pressure: It has been scientifically shown that diet high in probiotics helps lower both blood pressure and triglycerides levels in the blood.
- Lower cholesterol and fat levels: Eating probiotics has been found to lower cholesterol and fat levels in diabetics.
- Well regulated blood sugar levels: Probiotics regulate blood sugar levels.
- Lower body weight and/or gain: Those who eat a diet high in probiotics have lower body mass index, lower body fat, smaller waist circumference, and less weight gain.
Benefits of Coconut
- Reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease: The MCT in coconut milk fosters the creation of ketones instead of glucose.
- Better gut health: Lauric acid in coconut milk kills bad bacteria.
- Faster weight loss: Diet high in MCT fats has been shown to stimulate weight loss.
- Lower cholesterol: Coconut milk raises good cholesterol and reduces bad one.
Benefits of Oats
- Reduced risk of coronary artery disease: Oats lower the risk of coronary heart disease by lowering bad cholesterol and raising the good one.
- Reduced risk of colorectal cancer: Eating a diet high in fiber has been shown to lower the risk of colorectal cancer.
- Reduced risk of obesity and chronic disease: Oats reduce the risk for fat gain due to the fact that they provide better nutrient intake.
Recipe: Thick and Creamy 2-Ingredient Coconut Yogurt
- 2 high-quality probiotic capsules
- 1 14-ounce (414ml) can of creamy full-fat coconut milk (containing guar gum, if possible)
- Shake the can of coconut milk and then pour it into a glass jar/ bowl
- Add the probiotic capsules into the jar and mix using a wooden spoon
- Cover the top of the jar with a cheesecloth and seal with a rubber band
- Keep it at a warm place for 24-48 hours. The longer you wait, the thicker the yogurt will come out.
- Refrigerate the yogurt for an hour
- Scoop out the creamy layer, if any
- Sprinkle oats on the top!