The shocking truth about corn
I know you love corn. It is one of the most produced and consumed food which is highly present in our average diet. This is especially common in North America but the same food items are now found all around the world. From French fries to chicken nuggets everything has corn. Some most common foods that you unknowingly pick from the grocery store shelf have corn as one of the ingredients in it. Sodas (including diet ones), Ketchup, pudding, fruit juices, yogurt, salad dressing, baked cookies, mayonnaise, peanut butter and sometimes even milk are just a few.
However, this insane consumption of corn has a devastating effect on our health because contrary to popular belief corn is NOT healthy. Corn has the worst Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio out of all grains. Omega 3 fatty acids are responsible for hormones that are anti-inflammatory while Omega 6 fatty acids produce hormones that support inflammation. When the amount of omega 6 supersedes the amount of omega 3, our body loses control over the inflammatory response which can result in many health issues such as immune disease, diabetes, cancer, increased cholesterol, asthma, cardiovascular disease, and depression.
Here are 6 of the top reasons why you should never eat corn again:
- Corn is a grain – and a very unhealthy one! It contains the most sugars and starch and has an almost zero nutritional value. It’s the first plant which was genetically modified and continues to be enhanced by humans, making it completely unhealthy and bad for our health.
- Autoimmune disease – corn doesn’t contain gluten but the body confuses the protein in corn with gluten and your immune system gets confused. This disrupts the gut lining wreaking havoc on your digestive system. It also has a very high glycemic index which contributes to inflammation and can easily be converted to sugar, hampering the body’s insulin response.
- Corn cannot be digested – due to the fiber cellulose in corn, the body cannot digest corn easily. The human digestive system cannot completely break down cellulose because it lacks the enzyme to do so, leading to the trouble people often have fully digesting corn. Like all grains, corn contains prolamins, which are a class of proteins that your body can’t properly break down, thus leading to such conditions as leaky gut.
- Corn contains lectins – It contains class (A) proteins like lectins which are broken into amino acids to be digested by the body. Unfortunately, the body cannot break lectins and hence it cannot fully digest this grain. This also irritates the gut and causes inflammation.
- Pesticides – According to a study conducted in Canada most of the corn contains BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) insecticide and other harmful poisons and is not organic in nature. This study conducted in 2011 found that the BT toxin gets accumulated in our blood and has the ability to disrupt organ functionality to an extent which can cause long-term health problems.
- GMO – The International Journal of Biological Sciences published a study in which they analyzed the effects of genetically modified foods on mammalian health. Around 85% of corn in America is genetically modified and surprisingly the researchers discovered during that study that agricultural giant Monsanto’s GM corn is linked to organ damage in rats.