Potatoes are probably the most versatile vegetable around. You can boil them, bake them, mash them, fry them etc. Potatoes aren’t as awful as some people make them to be. Potatoes contain each of the 22 amino acids that form complete proteins after being easily digested.
Potatoes are rich in essential minerals and vitamins such as vitamin C and B6. As a matter of fact, potatoes contain more potassium than bananas.
You might ask why would we want to avoid potatoes if they are so good for you? There is a huge difference between conventional and organically grown potatoes.
Why you must avoid conventional potatoes
1. Root vegetables, such as potatoes, easily absorb herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides that end up in the soil. Pesticides that may be applied to conventionally grown potatoes, which have been identified as acutely toxic, include Aldicarb, Clothianidin, Methamidophos, Methyl parathion, and Propargite.
2. According to the USDA’s Pesticide Data Program, 35 different pesticides have been found on conventional potatoes. And out of these 35:
- 6 are known or probably carcinogens
- 12 are suspected hormone disruptors
- 7 are neurotoxins
- 6 are developmental or reproductive toxins
3. Ironically, many potato growers only eat potatoes grown on plots separate from the potatoes they grow for profit. Even potato farmers do not consider their conventionally grown produce safe for consumption and they would never eat them, according to Jeff Moyer, the farm director at the Rodale Institute.
4. Modern Conventional potatoes do not sprout. This is due to the fact that potatoes are being spread with a chemical called Chlorpropham that is used to stop the growth of weeds and to inhibit potato sprouting. These sprout inhibitors possess mutagenic properties that change the genetic material of an organism.
A 1993 Cornell University study says this:
Chlorpropham is moderately toxic by ingestion. It may cause irritation of the eyes or skin. Symptoms of poisoning in laboratory animals have included listlessness, incoordination, nose bleeds, protruding eyes, bloody tears, difficulty in breathing, prostration, inability to urinate, high fevers, and death.
Autopsies of animals have shown inflammation of the stomach and intestinal lining, congestion of the brain, lungs, and other organs, and degenerative changes in the kidneys and liver. Chronic exposure of laboratory animals has caused retarded growth, increased liver, kidney and spleen weights, congestion of the spleen and death.
Long-term exposure to chlorpropham may cause adverse reproductive effects. Chlorpropham may cross the placenta.
Organic potatoes are the answer
You can not just simply wash off the chemicals because they have been absorbed into the flesh. Organic production does not allow for the use of all of these toxic chemicals, plus organic potatoes contain more nutrients than conventional potatoes.
Is it worth paying a few extra dollars for organic food, bearing in mind all its health benefits? Whatever you decide, please do not forget: you and your family always deserve the very best.