Inflammation is a hot topic nowadays. Although it is a normal response of the body, recent research indicates that it can generate a waterfall of events responsible for various diseases, including chronic ones, such as diabetes and cancer. If you have arthritis, this can give you pain, stiffness, and even swelling of your joints.
It is normal for us to jump to medications to treat arthritis, but there are instances when choosing alternative treatments will work best, particularly in the form of herbs and spices. Not only are they holistic practices, they also help you avoid the negative side effects of drugs.
For patients with arthritis, here are the herbs and spices to try:
1. Black Pepper: With its piperin, black pepper can help reduce the pain of people with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis.
2. Turmeric: This spice is the yellow color you can see in curry. It is also used as the standard mustard for hotdogs and you can already guess this has a delicious flavor. However, this is not only what turmeric is about. Recent studies suggest that turmeric is one of – if not the most – nutritious of all spices around. It is effective for inflammatory problems, such as autoimmune diseases, tendonitis, and arthritis.
3. Ginger: Adding fresh ginger to your meals can prevent inflammation. There are plenty of ways to use ginger, including grating it and adding to your food. You can also drink ginger tea to alleviate arthritis pain.
4. Hot Chili Peppers: These peppers, most especially cayenne, have great anti-inflammatory properties. They have capsaicinoids that give them their natural healing ability. For centuries, cayenne and the other peppers have been used to prevent digestive problems.
5. Cinnamon: A spice that tis popular in baked treats, cinnamon can give you the help you need to lessen arthritis pain and swelling. There have been several studies that prove how this spice can ease swelling. Next time to drink coffee or tea, add some cinnamon to it. You can also sprinkle ground cinnamon to your meals.
6. Coriander Seeds: These seeds give you cilantro, which you may know as Chinese parsley. The seeds though have been used for easy digestion, but now, studies have shown how helpful they are to people with arthritis. Crushed seeds can give you a strong tea that can eliminate diarrhea and other digestive issues. You can also do the same to reduce inflammation swelling.
Arthritis is quite common in people who are at least 65 years old. However, this does not mean that just because you’re younger, you can’t suffer from it. In fact, even children can have this type of inflammation response. If you or your loved one has arthritis, incorporate the spices and herbs given above to ease your suffering.