Although marshmallows are usually considered as a staple for Thanksgiving classics, camping trips, desserts and hot cocoa, but they are loaded with a lot of sugar.
In other words, a common marshmallow includes about 4 grams of added sugar. However, we very rarely eat a single marshmallow, but much more. Just a cup of mini marshmallows includes a whopping 29 grams of sugar, which actually exceeds the recommended daily sugar amount by about 10 grams.
Excessive Sugar Intake Health Risks:
Excessive sugar consumption increases the total calorie amount and can easily contribute to unhealthy weight gain and obesity. Moreover, foods that are high in sugar, including marshmallows, are typically low in nutritive value.
Also, sugar consumption in excessive amounts has been directly connected to these long-term health issues:
- Food addictions
- Insulin resistance and diabetes
- Increased cholesterol levels
- Teeth problems, like cavities
- Heart disease
- Certain cancer types, including pancreatic cancer
Healthy Marshmallow Recipe
We are going to present you an excellent recipe of fluffy honey-sweetened marshmallows, which can be made in a chocolate or coconut version.
- Half a cup of cold water
- 1 and a half tbsp. of gelatin
- Half a cup of honey
- Half tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. of salt
- First of all, you should lightly grease a loaf pan and cover it using parchment paper to hang over the sides of the pan one way. Next, grease the parchment paper, as well.
- In a mid-sized bowl, put ¼ cup of water, sprinkle the gelatin over it, and set it aside to soften.
- Add the other ¼ cup of water, salt, and honey in another small pot and put it on medium heat. Make sure you bring the mixture to 240 degrees by using a candy thermometer. When it reaches the right temperature, remove it from the heat.
- With a hand mixer put on low, you should carefully mix in the hot syrup into the gelatin mixture by slowly pouring the hot syrup in a drizzle down the side of the bowl. When it’s all combined, you can add the vanilla and increase speed to high. Mix it for 12- 15 minutes, or until it becomes thick and fluffy. At least, scrap it into the prepared pan, let it uncovered for 4-12 hours to dry and cut into squares, and serve.
Cocoa Version: The finished and cut marshmallows should be rolled in cocoa powder.
Coconut Version: About half a cup of coconut flakes should be toasted unsweetened. Finally, half of it should be sprinkled on the pan bottom, scraped in the marshmallow mixture, as well as sprinkled with the rest of the coconut flakes.