NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — A family says their newborn baby is suffering burns and blisters after a screw from an infant warmer fell on her at St. Thomas Midway Hospital.
Aminah Boyde received those injuries after a screw fell from an infant warmer.
Now, her family says the nurse should never have placed their baby under it.
Aminah’s injuries aren’t life-threatening, but they’re severe enough her family said doctors are transferring her from St. Thomas Midway Hospital to Vanderbilt on Friday for burn treatment.
It’s a scare they say should never have happened.
“That’s your child at the end of the day,” Aminah’s father, Sean Boyde said. “Nobody want to see that on their child. I was angry about it”
That’s how Boyde describes the moment he saw his newborn daughter.
Those burns on Aminah’s neck and chest happened after a nurse put her under an infant warmer a few hours after birth and a loose screw fell from the metal housing.
“That shouldn’t have happened know what I’m saying,” Boyde said.
The family may have extra reason to feel that way and it stems from a conversation they say they had with a nurse after the accident.
“The lady said before she put my niece in there that it was squeaking but she still put her in there,” Taylor Bryant said. “Why would you put somebody in there it made a noise. You shouldn’t have put her in there.”
St. Thomas released a statement to FOX 17, confirming the accident happened and promising to have a “plastic specialist” examine Aminah at “no cost” to see if any treatment is needed.
“At Saint Thomas Midtown Hospital, the safety and comfort of our patients is vitally important to us. We are, of course, especially diligent in ensuring the safety of the babies born here. In this situation, the baby was lying on an infant warmer when a metal screw came loose and fell from the metal housing. The small screw dropped onto the baby’s neck resulting in two small burns. A nursing staff member who was at the bedside, removed the baby from the warmer. Hospital leadership informed the family and shared everything learned about the event with them. A neonatologist was called to assess the baby immediately. A plastic specialist has been contacted to examine the baby to see if any treatment is needed at this time. There will be no cost incurred by the family related to this event. Saint Thomas Midtown is very sorry that this event occurred and have offered a sincere apology to the parents.”
The frightening thing to Aminah’s family is how dangerous this could’ve been if that falling screw landed somewhere else.
“Anything could’ve happened – it could’ve went in her eye – anything,” Sean Boyde said.
“I’m glad she’s still here know what I’m saying, that it wasn’t life threatening it could’ve been worse. It shouldn’t have had to happen anyway though,” Sean Boyde said.
Read more: 3 Kinds of Grief Nobody Talks About
Even though the family is not worried about the long term health of their child, they do have a big concern about the scarring Aminah will have as a result of the incident.