Having ways to prevent and fight gas and bloating is the best way to deal with the problem. If the gas never forms to begin with, no embarrassment has to happen. Check out these 7 ways you can try fighting embarrassing bloating and gas on your own.
- Teas. If you discover your stomach is giving you problems, make yourself some tea. Brigham Health recommends peppermint, chamomile, anise, caraway, coriander, fennel and turmeric tea. For seeds like anise, caraway, coriander and fennel, Reader’s Digest says to pour 1 cup of hot water over 1 to 2 teaspoons of crushed seeds and let it steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drinks. One gas causing culprit may be what you drink. The Mayo Clinic says to avoid drinking lots of carbonated beverages and beer. Medical News Today recommends drinking your beverages at room temperature to help eliminate gas and bloating.
- Activated charcoal. An easy solution that can be purchased over-the-counter is activated charcoal. According to WebMD, when you first notice you’re having problems after eating, take some activated charcoal. It may eliminate your gas entirely.
- Enzymes. Another culprit for causing gas could be what you’re eating. Medical News Today states that certain sugars found in milk, onions, beans, wheat, green leafy veggies and artificial sweeteners can be hard for some people’s bodies to break down. WebMD recommends taking the necessary enzymes to help your body out. Beano and Lactaid are two such products that can be used.
- Fruits. Another way to help reduce gas and bloating is by “eating raw, low-sugar fruits, such as apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cranberries, grapefruits, peaches, strawberries, and watermelons” according to Medical News Today.
- Exercise. If you find yourself in the midst of a gas attack or having eaten a meal that may create gas, Medical News Today recommends getting up and going for a walk. The movement will help the gas to move through the intestines and help prevent an explosion that could prove to be embarrassing.
- Yellow mustard. Top 10 Home Remedies recommends swallowing 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard if you’re having gas trouble. You can wash it down with water if necessary. The idea is that the turmeric found in mustard will help reduce the gas. No studies have been done to see if this actually works, so you’ll have to be the judge.
With so many easy ways to control stomach gas, you might be able to stop your problems before they even start. Discover your triggers and learn what works for you so you won’t have to suffer in public again.