Most people are familiar with gelatin in its colorful, flavorful rendition as Jell-O. You may be surprised to learn the base ingredient in your favorite childhood dessert has a range of benefits for the body.
To benefit from gelatin, Prevention recommends adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of gelatin powder to your daily diet. You can mix the powder with cold water, leave overnight, and eat with yogurt and honey for breakfast the next morning, as recommended by Daily Health Post. For a more flavorful health boost, whip up a batch of cookie dough protein bars from Cook It Up Paleo, drool over this lemon panna cotta from Savory Lotus, and snack on these addictive blueberry pomegranate gummies from Don’t Eat The Spatula.
1. Soothe joint pain. Hormone specialist Dr. Ray Peat explains on his website, consuming gelatin can have a nearly immediate effect, akin to that of aspirin or cortisol, on achy joints.
2. Mitigate symptoms of Osteoporosis. WebMD reports a study from the American Academy of Family Physicians in Dallas found gelatin can provide relief for painful symptoms of osteoporosis in the knees.
3. Aid digestion. The amino acids in gelatin line the stomach, helping soothe inflammation and aid digestion, says Prevention. If you suffer from digestion issues regularly, try chewing on home-made gummies or sipping this bone broth from Grass Fed Girl after meals.
4. Heal stomach ulcers. A 2006 article published on Innovations Report details the findings from a study that found gelatin helps speed the recovery of stomach ulcers.
5. Strengthen fingernails. Soaking your nails for just 2 minutes in a solution made from 1/2 ounce gelatin and 1 cup water can completely transform your nails, says Homemade Mamas.
6. Improve hair quality. Wellness Mama swears by this treatment for strengthening, thickening, and conditioning hair. Stir 1 tablespoon Gelatin powder in 1/2 cup cool water. When thoroughly mixed, add 1/2 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon honey. Stir until a thick gel forms. Massage into the hair and scalp. Allow the treatment to soak in for at least 5 minutes and then rinse with hot water.
7. Reduce wrinkles. When consumed, gelatin infuses the body with the amino acids and collagen necessary to fill out wrinkles and diminish stretch marks, reports Wellness Mama.
8. Improve sleep. Dr. Ray Peat claims that after years of restless sleep, taking gelatin before bed resulted in an astounding nine hours of uninterrupted sleep. This is encouraging for anyone who struggles to get those mandatory eight hours of shut-eye.
NOTE: As Prevention explains, gelatin is made from the collagenous joints, tendons, and connective tissue of cows, pigs and fish. It is therefore not vegetarian, and any vegetarian substitutes will not have the same health benefits.