Do you happen to live or work in a water damaged building? Mind you, a lot of people live in such an environment without even being aware of it.
Indoor air pollutants in those places such as mold can seriously affect your health.
What’s worse, you don’t even have to live or work in those places to feel the negative effects of mold. Nowadays, every household has a number of appliances that can leak water.
These include washing machines, water heaters, dishwashers, dryers, refrigerators, and other appliances connected to water.
The more appliances, the greater the risk of leak. And, a leak can cause some serious damage to your house and turn it into a hazardous place to live. This is mostly because of the mold.
How Dangerous Is the Mold?
Even though most types of mold are not dangerous, still there are 100,000 of them in total, so there must be some that are hazardous.
The most common indoor types of mold include Penicillium, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, and Alternaria.
Here’s the toxic greenish-black mold that appears on household surfaces with high cellulose content, like fiberboard, wood, gypsum board, dust, fiberboard, paper, and lint.
Usually, it means the levels of moisture in the house are raised, or that there has been some prior water damage.
Still, the types of mold that can affect your health in many ways are the allergenic molds. They are extremely common and contain allergens that cause and trigger allergies and other symptoms in people.
Fungi and mold thrive in damp indoor places, so if you spend a lot of time there, your health might be affected in several ways.
Symptoms of Mold Illnesses
Here’s how to recognize if the mold in your household has taken a toll on your health:
- Weakness, fatigue, and post-exercise malaise
- Problems with concentration, memory, executive function, and brain fog
- Joint pain even though you don’t have inflammatory arthritis, muscle aches, and cramps
- Tingling and numbing sensation
- Red eyes, light sensitivity, blurred vision
- Problems with sinuses, shortness of breath, cough, asthma-like symptoms
- Constant nerve pain
- Metallic taste
- Nausea, stomach pain, appetite changes, and diarrhea
- Inability to lose weight, and easily adding pounds
- Problems with temperature regulations like night sweats
- Frequent urination
- Excessive thirst
- Static “shocks”
Even though it’s perfectly normal to spot some mildew or mold on shower walls or places where water accumulates, seeing them in other places inside your house means there’s been a leak nearby, making an ideal thriving environment for mold.
How to Deal with Mold
First, you have to detect and take care of the leak. That might be water valves, toilets, water faucets, pipes, tubes, and different household appliances.
So, in many cases, you should probably call a plumber to locate the cause and assess the problem.
Besides locating the leak source and fixing it, you should also clean the area to get rid of the mold. Here’s a great natural way to eliminate mold in your house.
Natural Mold Cleaner – Recipe
- Tea tree oil – 2 teaspoons
- Water – 2 cups
- A spray bottle
Add the water into the spray bottle and pour in the oil. Shake well, and spray on the affected household surfaces. Leave it to dry naturally, and use a towel to wipe it afterward. The quick results will amaze you.