Besides they can be an ideal decoration for your home, but majority of houseplants also create a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere. In addition, greenery should be found in every home since some plants can actually purify the home and create healthy environment and positive vibes.
But, here are also some plants that may trigger allergic reactions or even negatively impact your health:
Your safety as well as your pets’ safety can be endangered by this plant. In case you are handling this plant without wearing gloves due to its milky latex it can result in skin irritation. Oleander also includes glycosides, which is a compound resulting in symptoms, like sweating, vomiting, excess salivation, oral irritation, shallow breathing, nausea, irregular heartbeat, diarrhea, congested mucus membranes, in-coordination. That’s not all, it can also have fatal consequences.
As you can see, oleander should be out of reach in case you have small children or cat pets. Also, be cautious if this plant gets in touch with fire, as its smoke can be very toxic.
It possesses a toxic compound known as diterpene esters that may be dangerous for you because it may lead to mouth and stomach irritation as well as other symptoms, such as swollen mouth or eyes, excess salivation, vomiting, stomachache, or diarrhea.
Moreover, as a result of its toxic compounds present in the milky latex, this plant may also contribute to redness, swelling, or blisters on the skin.
3. Asparagus fern
This plant looks wonderful, but it is the worst enemy of the pets. Its berries and leaves have been found to be poisonous because they possess a toxic compound called sapogenin. Furthermore, in case your pet swallows some of these leaves or berries, it can lead to abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
By hanging asparagus fern and collecting its berries when they grow you can prevent your pets to get in touch with this plant.
It can have negative effects on your or your pets’ health due to its insoluble crystals of calcium oxalate called raphites.
To be more specific, in case you get in touch with the plant’s sap, you may experience swollen tongue and lips, irritation, and a burning sensation in your skin. On the other hand, pets can experience swollen tongue, increased salivation, breathing difficulties, vomiting, reduced alertness, difficulty swallowing food, and convulsions. Therefore, this plant is recommended to be kept out of reach, particularly if you have pets.
Even though it decorates and refreshes the home, but this plant includes some poisonous ingredients like asparagine and insoluble calcium oxalates.
In case it is ingested, it can trigger the following symptoms: lip, tongue, and mouth irritation, excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, diarrhea, a hoarse voice, and vomiting.
Additionally, depending on the quantity being ingested, there are other symptoms that can be experienced such as abnormal speaking and swallowing. However, in worst cases, it may result in coma or death.
Bear in mind, in case you or your pets ingest some of it, consider treating the affected areas using lukewarm water.
6. Elephant Ear
The leaves and stems of elephant ear can be very harmful for your health as well as the health of your pets since they contain toxic elements like oxalic acid and asparagine. Perhaps, a lot of people ignore the fact that this plant may be harmful for the environment as it is a beautifully-looking plant.
Swollen eyes, throat, or mouth, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea are the possible symptoms of ingesting this plant. So, in case you or your pet experience these symptoms, consider consulting a doctor or a vet.
7. Arrowhead Plant
Only a few know that the sap is the most poisonous part of this plant as it possesses oxalate crystals. Remember, it is highly recommended to wear gloves every time when handling this plant. If you do not wear gloves, its sap may trigger irritated skin, and swelling of the throat, mouth, and stomach.
On the contrary, the possible symptoms that pets may experience are: excessive drooling, vomiting, swollen mouth, pawing at the mouth, and difficulty swallowing.
8. Dumb Cane or Dieffenbachia
Needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals and asparagine, which are both toxic compounds, are present in this plant. These compounds may be harmful for the health of your children and pets. Namely, if they ingest it, they may experience oral irritation, swelling, difficulty swallowing and breathing, excessive drooling and intense numbing.
9. Mauna Loa Plant or Peace Lily
It is also a good-looking plant that possesses toxic elements, which are harmful for humans and pets. This plant may trigger swollen mouth, lips, and tongue, difficulty swallowing, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
In case your pet chews or swallows it, it may result in vomiting, oral pain, face pawing, drooling, and foaming.
10. Devil’s Ivy or Golden Pothos
It can be especially hazardous for your pets due to its insoluble calcium oxalates. If the pet have ingested it, then it may experience swollen tongue or lips, vomiting, pawing at the face, drooling, lack of appetite, and foaming.
It has bulbs that are toxic to humans and pets. Unfortunately, the bulbs of this plant are usually mistaken for shallots or onions and if consumed, it may cause serious stomach issues, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and in the worst cases, even death.
However, it doesn’t actually mean that these plants should not be grown in your home, but you should be very cautious and don’t let your children or pets play with them.