For those who suffer from year-round allergies, a stuffy nose can be quite an annoyance. Everyone has caught a cold and understands the discomfort of sinus pressure when the passageways get clogged.
Rather than run to the doctor’s for relief every time you have a sniffle, you may want to try one of the following 10 home remedies for clearing a stuffy nose. With a little luck, you may be back to smelling the roses again in no time.
1. Humidifier. Putting moisture into the air is important when the nasal passageways get clogged. WebMD states that you can use either a humidifier or vaporizer to help keep the mucus running and the passageways open.
2. Hot shower. If you don’t happen to have a vaporizer or humidifier handy, putting the shower on hot and letting the bathroom fill with steam is a viable option and has the same effect according to Medical News Today.
3. Fluids. Keeping yourself well hydrated is also important. WebMD says to drink plenty of fluids if you’re fighting with sinus pressure, allergies or a cold.
4. Eucalyptus oil. Medical News Today says that a few drops of eucalyptus oil can placed in a pan of boiling water and the steam inhaled. The eucalyptus will help open the nasal passages.
5. Saline spray. Salt helps to dry out the nasal passages. WebMD recommends using a nasal saline spray to help open clogged passages.
6. Warm compress. A suggestion by the Mayo Clinic is to apply a warm compress to the nasal passages.
7. Head elevation. Another suggestion by the Mayo Clinic is to sleep with your head elevated.
8. Neti pot. Irrigating the nasal passageways with a saline solution is another way WebMD recommends alleviating a stuffy nose.
9. No pools. According to WebMD, chlorinated pools can aggravate sinus passages, so avoiding them is wise.
10. Antihistamines and decongestants. If allergies are the source of your discomfort, getting them under control is the solution to the problem. Taking an antihistamine or decongestant may be what is needed according to Medical News Today.
Always know when you need to consult a physician, but for the occasional stuffy nose, you no longer need to suffer. With these 10 home remedies, you may be able to find quick relief.
Please SHARE this useful information with your friends on Facebook!